There are few things more iconic to the fictional witch than her tall pointed hat. Its origin is murky, but well-established in the popular consciousness. Can anyone forget Margaret Hamilton’s hat in the Wizard of Oz?
In honor of this iconic image, and our location close to historic Salem, Costume-Con 37 will have a special competition, similar to the cod-pieces, bras and ties of past Costume-Cons. Here are the rules.
- You do not have to be a member of Costume-Con 37 to enter. However, if you are not a member, you must arrange with a member to set up and take down your entry.
- There will be two categories.
- Practical: a Practical entry must be wearable by a human being.
- Artistic: an Artistic entry must not be wearable by a human being. It is intended to be a piece of art.
- Each entry must be recognizable as a pointed hat. Other than that you are free to use whatever materials and techniques you wish to make your hat and to decorate and embellish it.
- A panel of judges will be selected to judge the entries. They will award as many or as few awards as they deem appropriate.
- Entries must be in place no later than Saturday at noon. We prefer that they are placed early on Friday to give everyone as much time to see them as possible; but we understand some cannot arrive early.
- Entries must be picked up before convention close on Monday.
- By entering your hat you agree that the Costume-Con may photograph and video your entry and that those images may be used in promotions for future Costume-Cons. You also agree to allow their posting on the Costume-Con and International Costumers’ Guild Archive sites and in productions of either. All other rights to each entry remain with the designers/creators.
- Any questions should be directed to the Show Directors: Pierre and Sandy Pettinger.
Entry Application can be found here!